We provide loads of ways young people can be involved in
decision making, leadership and representation in your local area.
Here are some ways you can help plan for the future of young people, represent specific groups within the community or organise events for young people in Moonee Valley.
Young People's Committee
Want to be involved in projects for young people in your area? Do you have ideas about how Moonee Valley can be improved as a home for young people? Join our Young People’s Committee!
We invite passionate young people aged 12 to 25 to join us and participate in our community by representing your peers and be actively involved in decision making. The committee meets fortnightly and provides young people in Moonee Valley with an opportunity to...
- Develop their leadership skills and support youth-led initiatives
- Shape council policies and projects by providing valuable youth perspectives
- Gain experience and training for your resume
- Improve Moonee Valley as a place for young people to live and thrive
In the past the Young People's Committee has been involved some fantastic projects including:
- Youth Forums
- Consultations with local services
- RYOK? Day afternoon tea
- Engagement with high schools
- Youth mental health first aid training
Membership for this term is at capacity. To apply for next term, complete the form to the right or get in touch at email@example.com and we'll reach out when we're recruiting!
Want to consult with the Committee? See below for more information!
Consulting the committee
Are you an organisation, service or business in Moonee Valley that works with or for young people? Are you working on a new project, policy or strategy and want to involve young people in the planning process?
The Young People’s Committee is an advocacy and advisory group composed of young people from the Moonee Valley area who meet fortnightly. If you wish to organise a consultation with the Committee please submit the JotForm to the right and your request will be reviewed.
Please apply for your consultation at least six weeks in advance. Our Committee meets fortnightly and will need time to review your application. We understand some projects are time sensitive and encourage all applications, however, by giving more notice will increase your chances of securing a consultation. As the Committee are only able to undergo one consultation per month, consultation requests provided well in advance that are rich in detail will be prioritised.
If you are successful in securing a consultation, be aware that the Committee meets fortnightly on Tuesdays, 4:30pm - 6:30pm. You will need to be available to join us during Committee meetings.
The Young People's Committee are no longer taking consultation requests for 2023. Please submit your requests for 2024.
If you're passionate about taking action on our changing climate, join our Grassroots Group!
It's a great chance to voice your opinions and lead other young people to create sustainable change in your community for a big impact. If you want to take control of the future and start grassroots change, look no further than this group!
So far we have led:
- A planting day at the Valley Youth Space
- A clean-up spot for Clean Up Australia Day
- Created a youth feedback session on a new pocket park in Flemington (small park)
- An online campaign for National Recycling Week (check it out below!)
- A terrarium making workshop over Zoom
Our future plans are to:
- Teach other young people how to be sustainable
- Host sustainability events in the community
- Create small change for a big impact!
Have we piqued your interest? Let us plant the seed by sending you an invitation to our next meeting (no commitment necessary!) Just email firstname.lastname@example.org.