youth CONSULTANTS Project
Applications for the Youth Consultants Project are now closed.
Are you interested in improving mental health and wellbeing support
for young people?
Seeking 18-25 year olds to represent the young people of Moonee Valley
The role of the consultants will be to collaborate with each other and consult with the community to identify issues affecting young people's mental health and wellbeing.
Once identified, the consultants will create and deliver a project that will make a positive difference to young people in Moonee Valley.
The Youth Consultants project is an opportunity for applicants to advise Valley Youth on issues affecting young people’s wellbeing. It's about making a positive difference in the lives of other young people by creating and delivering a mental health and wellbeing project.
This project, which is in its second phase, aims to both respond to the needs of young people and provide Youth Consultants with valuable skills and experiences for life and future employment pathways.
What is your role:
- Meet regularly as a full team and break into smaller groups to work on allocated tasks
- Proactively consult with community – make phone calls, meet with local service providers and businesses
- Be responsible for completion of your individual project tasks and the overall success of the project
- Take the lead and drive the project with the support of other youth consultants and council staff
- Engage in project management and problem solve challenges
Youth Consultants will be able to share these skills and experiences with new employers and the various communities they engage with.
What will you gain:
- Receive ongoing mentorship, skill development; and trainings relating to leadership and mental health
- Develop professional networks with Council and other youth services
- Develop presentation and facilitation skills with the opportunity to speak at and attend events
- Gain opportunities for community engagement
- Receive a certificate of participation and a reference for future employment
Application for Youth Consultants Project Phase III are currently open.
YOUTH CONSULTANTS PROJECT - PHASE I
This pilot project invited volunteer young people with lived experience of using mental health services and a passion for creating mental health and wellbeing initiatives for other young people to participate in a co-produced project with the aim of creating better mental health outcomes for young people in Moonee Valley.
The project resulted in the development and distribution of the Planting Seeds resource (see left) to all Moonee Valley schools. Planting Seeds gives all school staff tips and knowledge on engaging with and supporting student mental health and wellbeing within the school environment.
“Pride, thankful for the experience and opportunity to learn, grow, advocate and improve employability skills.”
2019 Youth Consultant
“I feel a great sense of pride over what we have accomplished, the connections we made and the content we have produced so far, however I do also feel a bit of grief.”
2019 Youth Consultant
“For me this project was about getting some experience in mental health and wellbeing over a longer time frame than I’ve previously been part of, and seeing what could be done in that time span.
Frankly, I’ve enjoyed my time with this project quite a lot, and have loved working alongside other young people who are passionate about mental health, wellbeing and bettering the systems and models we currently have in place […]
It’s been quite eye-opening in regards to the constraints and practicalities of these types of projects within Council, but awesome to feel like part of the wider Valley Youth team.”
2019 Youth Consultant
WHO CAN APPLY
- Aged 18 - 25
- Those who live, work, study or hang out in Moonee Valley
ATTRIBUTES & SKILLS
- Team player
- Treat everyone with respect
- Listen and value other consultants' opinions
- No bullying, harrassment or discriminatory behaviour
- Interested in and have ideas about wellbeing and mental health for young people
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- No formal qualifications required
- Have a keen interest in mental health and wellbeing initiatives
REimbursement OF TIME
Consultants will be reimbursed at a rate of $25 per hour.
HOURS OF WORK
- The project will take place over 2 terms, with 3-hours per meeting.
- Session days will be limited to Mondays, Thursdays or Fridays; exact times to be coordinated with Youth Consultants.
- Video and/or Phone conferencing;
- In person, at local council sites.
Every effort will be made to ensure the Youth Consultants Project is accessible to all applicants.
Application Form - Now CLOSED
Application for Youth Consultants Project Phase III closed on Sunday, 24 July 2022.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- All submitted applications will be assessed by Valley Youth
- All applicants will be advised if they have been shortlisted via phone and/or email within 7 business days of the applications closing
- Shortlisted applicants will be offered a brief interview to discuss the project and their suitability in more detail
- Successful applicants will be sent a welcome pack and be contacted regarding a confirmed start date and induction process.